Dumitru Brînzan, a photographer from Moldova, a wine enthusiast and traveler, recently established in Germany, decided to promote Moldova's image by organizing an evening of Moldovan wines in the city of Dortmund, Germany.
Therefore, the event organized by Dumitru, was aimed to promote not only the quality of Moldovan wines, as well the image of Moldova as a tourist destination. Dumitru has organized similar events also in Italy and hopes to motivate this way other Moldovans established abroad, to organize similar events.
The date of the event was carefully chosen, February 19, 2017, 30 days before the opening of the biggest European exhibitions of wines and spirits - ProWein 2017, where usually more than 200 Moldovan wines are presented at a joint stand "Wine of Moldova".
The host and moderator, Mr. Carsten Jekubzik, the owner of the Spanish cuisine restaurant Weinadvokat, regularly organizes wine tastings of the most famous wine regions in the world. Here Moldovan wines were presented for the first time in a public event. All participants of the tasting learned amazing things about wineries and wine from Moldova, the National Wine Day, as well about other local events and festivals. All these were included in a short invitation to visit Moldova, specially prepared for the event by Winetours Moldova, the organizational partner of the event, the most complete online guide of winetours from Moldova.
The presentation included 8 wines:
1. Fume Blanc, a dry Sauvignon Blanc, from Fautor Winery, year of harvest 2015, with protected geographic indication „Valul lui Traian”
2. Vinohora year of harvest 2014, a limited edition of Purcari wines, a white dry blend, produced from the Moldovan grape variety Fetească Albă and the French variety Chardonnay.
3. Individo year of harvest 2015, a white dry wine, from Chateau Vartely, produced form 2 white varieties with distinct aromas Riesling and Feteasca Regală (a Moldovan white grape variety)
4. Merlot Rose, year of harvest 2015, from Fautor Winery, the only rose wine included in the tasting
5. Feteasca Neagră, year of harvest 2013, a red dry wine from Vinăria din Vale (a Moldovan red grape variety)
6. Negre, year of harvest 2015, from Fautor Winery. A dry red wine, with a generous bouquet, full-bodied and velvety in taste, produced from the in 2 Moldovan red grape varieties Feteasca Neagră and Rară Neagră. Namely this wine was selected to be paired with the culinary surprise, prepared by the hosts from Weinadvokat.
7. 5 Elemente, year of harvest 2013, , a complex and remarkable wine distinct from Equinox, produced from 5 grape varieties Shiraz, Rară Neagrăa, Carmenere, Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec
8. Amaro de la Valea Perjei, year of harvest 2004. A limited edition from Acorex Wine, a demi-dry red wine, a blend from Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Bastardo.
All participants have highly appreciated all Moldovan wines and were particularly impressed by the blends produced from local grape varieties, such as Rară Neagră and Feteasca Neagră.
Guests of the event have shown interest in buying Moldovan wines in Germany, but also in organizing a wine tour to Moldova.